Make your own free website on






















































































































The Essequibo River tragedy
Body of 10-year-old still missing
By Michel Outridge
A post mortem yesterday on one of the two Essequibo River victims, Jainarine Dinanauth, revealed he died as a result of asphyxiation due to drowning coupled with trauma to the head, face and stomach.

Results from the post mortem for Henry Gibson are expected tomorrow.

Meanwhile, up to press time, relatives were still searching for the missing 10-year-old boy who was in the small boat with his father and their employee, Henry Gibson, both of whom perished in the mishap.

The bodies of Jainarine Dinanauth and Henry Gibson were discovered in the boat drifting in the Essequibo River.

Police said the river mishap occurred sometime between 18:30h Monday and 08:30h Tuesday in the Essequibo River, resulting in the death of Jainarine Dinanauth, 45; his son, Ricky, 10, of Zeelugt, East Bank Essequibo; and Henry Gibson, 46, of Hogg Island, Essequibo River.

Police reported that the three left the Parika Stelling about 18:30h on Monday for Hogg Island in a wooden boat.

After he had not made contact with her, Dinanauth’s reputed wife began making enquiries and subsequently formed a search party with the assistance of public spirited persons.

They eventually found the bodies of Jainarine Dinanauth and Henry Gibson, which bore injuries, in the boat which was severely damaged. The boat was in the Essequibo River in the vicinity of Hogg Island.

The body of Ricky Jainarine, who is also feared dead, has not yet been recovered up to press time.

Dinanauth’s brother, Ramnarine, told the Guyana Chronicle that at about 10.00 h Tuesday they learnt of the incident when relatives began telephoning each other as to the trio’s whereabouts.

The men and the child were expected in Hogg Island and when they failed to show up, relatives were alerted and began a search.

It was then they found the bodies of Dinanauth and his employee, Henry Gibson, inside the boat, but the boy was missing.

The badly damaged private speed boat, powered by a 40 horsepower engine, was brought to the Parika Stelling by the police and the bodies conveyed to the West Demerara Regional Hospital.

Ramnarine said that it is believed that the collision occurred between Hogg Island and Leguan.

The grieving man added that his sibling, his son and Henry Gibson were heading to Hogg Island to tend to their farming business.

He noted that Ricky Dinanauth came out with their boat from Hogg Island to pick up his father and their employee, Henry, at about 18:30h on Monday.

Meanwhile, the other boat involved in the collision is believed be a private boat.

Jainarine was a farmer and also worked in the interior.

Relatives told the Guyana Chronicle that the gold jewellery Dinanauth was wearing is missing, including eight gold rings and a gold chain.


Gold jewellery missing

They said too he had a bag containing an undisclosed amount of cash with him, and that too is missing

Thursday, August 13, 2009.